Sunday, February 19, 2006

Chapter Four

From before:
Chapter Four - How to Use Combat
  • Deciding on the proper use of conflict for your games
  • Combat
Previously:
Oh great. As if I didn't have enough trouble ; )

Moyra Turkington has described the way to capture about half of Scattershot. It's like the difference between 'putting your two cents' and 'a penny for your thoughts.' Most traditional gaming is about the two cents; everyone is expected to 'go after' what they want. Hers is about flirting and enticing another, the reward is the sign of approval for the efforts. That's exactly where I was going with Mystiques and instant rewards in Experience Dice, but I really didn't know it.

Now that I can tap into her 'pull' versus 'push' thinking, I may just be able to write the Scattershot material the way I wanted. With the complications stuff too.

There seems to be a fair amount of confusion about what she's saying, but to me it's all about opening up, revealing, and trusting. You aren't judging someone else's play into your comfort zone, you are inviting them to do whatever they want to please you. It's not a passive technique at all, but an enticement or an invitation. It's a great way to create connection between the other players and the character, between the other players and the character's player. And it doesn't need to be character specific; considering the Proprietorship aspect of Scattershot, any proprietor can pull in terms of their 'property.'

I'll leave the rest of this thinking for later (during the redesign).

No comments: